Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hammer Films Rises from the Dead












After years of suspended animation, Hammer Films has returned to life.  Their first feature film in 30 years is Wake Wood, a sort of pagan horror movie filmed in Ireland.  It will soon be released in the U.K.  More interestingly, Hammer veteran Christopher Lee (above) and Hillary Swank are starring in The Resident, a thriller opening in late 2010.  Even more interestingly, a Hammer remake of the Swedish vampire movie Let The Right One In will be opening in October.  An interview with the head Hammer person is here.  I've only seen a smattering of Hammer's classic productions, and I have to say that with the exception of Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter, I wasn't entirely impressed.  Maybe it was just the luck of the draw - I do want to get around to seeing The Vampire Lovers and the rest of the Karnstein Trilogy.  I'll have to check out The Resident (trailer here), but I won't be seeing Let Me In.  More on this later.

2 comments:

  1. 'Captain Kronos' is great fun, and 'Vampire Lovers' very atmospheric. If you're looking for tips on what to watch there's a regular ten favourite Hammers post by various afficionados over on the Watching Hammer blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for steering me towards the Watching Hammer blog - well done and packed with information.

    ReplyDelete